We asked WNC USTA spring adult league captains to tell us about tennis players who are stepping up to make a difference in our current life situation. We appreciate all of our WNC players and their help in their respective communities! Here are the captain/player responses:
from Capt. Kim Kneier:
- Charles Carter, travels to Raleigh each week to work as COO of Technology for DHHS with primary focus on emergency operations for the Covid 19 crisis (data, website, hospital needs, pharmaceutical needs). Health care professionals rely on information supplied daily.
- Dr. Allen Lalor, Dr. Melissa Johnson & Dr. Jodi Shainberg, ER doctors
- Dr. Rebecca Carchman, Pediatric ICU, Dr. Jenny Hall, gen. practice
- Dr. Christi Lehman, ortho,
- Cynthia Beane & Alex Lozowski Murray, nurses
from Capt. Yuka Angel & Capt. Susie Manley:
- Bridget Hansel, Catherine Jones, Jernine Carter & Peggy Horner, nurses
from Capt. Marlene Rau:
- Dr. Heather North, rheumatologist
- Player Lisa Cadiz is making masks for neighbors, and also shipping masks to a farm workers organization in Florida
- James Wilson took an Ambulance Operations & CPR class in case his assistance was needed by EMTs
- David Bartholomew works at Pisgah Legal Services providing legal assistance for basic needs
- Dennis Hulsing (player & racquet club owner) purchased several Earth Fare grocery stores out of bankruptcy. He is working with Randy Talley to reopen stores, providing approx. 500 jobs.
- Sara Naff Mlo, manager, Asheville Area Pediatrics, kept open 7 days a week, providing telephone triage 24 hrs a day with nurses and telemedicine visits with doctors